Sunday, June 04, 2006

Dark ages...

Yesterday afternoon our power was out for a couple hours, and you would not believe the suffering we did because of it. It is not as though we are weak people, shuddering at the first sign of the wilderness. We weren't even doing anything power-intensive: Marc was studying for the bar, Monkey was sleeping and I was knitting and fixing dinner. But with our complaining you would think we had to dodge dinosaurs to sharpen pigeon feathers to scratch our crude marks onto curls of birch bark. Monkey woke up because it was hot and his fan wasn't going any more, therefore distracting Marc, and my dinner plans were shot to hell. I was making bread and ice cream for a friend's birthday-fairly low tech. PIONEERS made bread and ice cream, for crying out loud. But typically I use my lovely pink KitchenAid mixer to knead the bread, and I needed the stove to cook the ice creams custard base. So with much sniveling and suffering on my part I kneaded the dough, which we threw on the BBQ at the party (yum!) The ice cream was cooked and frozen at the party which occurred in a more enlightened, electricity-blessed part of town.

2 comments:

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

I fully admit to being one of those weaklings who practically wets herself at the first sign of wilderness. :) Pooh on no power, but you did admirably! :)

Katherine Of It All said...

BBQed bread? Sounds really good. Did it rise? Did you put it in a pan or right on the grill? So many questions!