Thursday, June 08, 2006

Bread

An interesting facet to my character is that I always bake my own bread. I the past 8 1/2 years I've bought maybe a dozen loaves. I started out with a bread machine as a wedding present, and wore two pans and eventually the machine out. My second bread machine was not as good, so I only used it to kneed. A couple of years ago my parents got me a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas, and I've been baking up a storm ever since. When I do need to pick up a loaf at the grocery store I feel like I've somehow failed myself, or that The Man is bringing me down. So with this abominable heat we've had here for the past couple weeks I've really been suffering. Mid 90s for days! Unseasonable! So today when it was forecast to reach only 80 (the average temperature for this time of year, according to weather.com) I got busy early in the morning and pounded out 4 loaves of bread to freeze, which is exactly how many fit at once in my oven. Not nearly as exciting as the other foodie pics from Utah grrls, but still delicious.
Please ignore the absolutely black bananas in the corner; you just can't make banana bread with yellow bananas.

1 comment:

Katherine Of It All said...

Not nearly as exciting? Pshaw! Bread is the staff of life, as you so obviously know, and there is NO bread like homemade. I SALUTE you.