Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Interview

Finally my interview, questions by the lovely and talented Eliza.

1. Do you like living in Floria? What do you miss most about Salt Lake City?
I love living in Florida, but I really miss the mountains in Utah. I miss hiking every weekend, and the ocean just is not as good for keeping you oriented as the mountains were. I also really miss our geek-fest Saturday nights with our best friends Jeff and Mary. We got together virtually every weekend for about 7 years to cook dinner, RPG and let the kids get together. I miss all my Salt Lake knitting friends too, people just aren't that into wool here.

2. Who taught you to knit and how old were you?
My grandma taught me to knit when I was 5. I was a patient kid with an unnatural ability to sit quietly, and since my grandma was frequently knitting I wanted to learn too. I lived with my grandparents for a while then, and I always wanted to be around my grandma. She had this amazing gift to make everyone feel like they truly were her favorite person. Or maybe I really was her favorite grand kid. My first project was a doll blanket, made patchwork style with a block from every skein in her stash.
I resisted learning to knit continental for years because she taught me to throw. She died almost 10 years ago and I still miss her almost every day. Strangely, I wanted to knit the way she taught me, as though it would somehow be disloyal to do otherwise. It was my lady Mary who convinced me to pick, which has an awesome circularity because I initially taught her to knit.

3. How long have you been playing the guitar? Do you play any other instruments?
I've been playing guitar (well) for about 5 years now; I took a guitar class in college but it taught me nothing. A friend moved in with Marc and I when he was having marriage trouble, and the guys wanted to form a band. To avoid being stuck as the bass player I practiced really really hard. (Nothing against bass players, I sleep with one. It's just that if a band has one girl, she is ALWAYS playing bass. I refused to be a stereotype.)
I also play Mandolin, which is what I practice most now. I also took 6 years of clarinet in school, but that was a long time ago.

4. What is your favorite food/comfort food?
Initially I would say lasagna; but last week we went out to dinner at a place on the beach where you order a bucket of steamed clams, mussels, shrimp, oysters, lobster and other goodness and that was definitely in the top 1% of meals I have ever eaten.

5. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
I have this lovely image of visiting Greece by way of sailboat. The ancient Greeks were so closely connected with the ocean, this seems the best way to see the country. There are some places there aren't roads to, you have to take a boat. Plus, this was suggested to us by a Greek couple we met in Rome. We just need to convince a few other couples to go with us, and it is a pretty reasonable way to travel.
I would also go back to Japan in a heartbeat. Or Switzerland, that was another favorite. Really, in all our world travels the only place I wouldn't return to was the Bahamas.

That was fun! Anyone else not been interviewed who would like to, just ask. Although I'm pretty sure I am the last one to this party again.

No comments: