Sunday, April 18, 2010

Table

This is my cute little workshop. It's hard to use when it rains, but you couldn't ask for better ventilation. It self-adjusts for weather too: now that it is hot the trees have leafed out making it nice and shady. Our ancient wicker couch decomposed to a pile of sticks this winter, so we picked up a few chairs and an umbrella for our patio. I built a table inspired by these plans from Knock off Wood, using only 3 2x4s.
I spaced out the boards on top about a quarter inch since it is an outdoor table, and eliminated the breadboard ends. The 4x4 legs were replaced with a v-shape made from 2x4s and 2x2s (ripped down on my table saw). The apron pieces were eliminated too; the v-shaped legs attached directly to the top of the table and the support square underneath.
The top was stained and sealed with lots of polyurethane. The legs were painted with my favorite blue from my living room walls then polyurethane. The turquoise looks perfect with the blue umbrella.
We now have the perfect place to sit and enjoy the back yard, for the next two weeks until it gets too hot to go outside :)

2 comments:

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

Awesome. I grin everytime I see that blue. It's so.....cheerful! ;)

Anonymous said...

Im trying to stain a pine butcher block that shade. Mine came out flourescent orange!! What brand and shade of stain did you use? And what polyrethane?